Thursday, February 16, 2012

Looks like we made it...not....

Since I am now on hour twenty of this long day, I will enclose a picture or two and a brief description of why Ken is in the hospital. The first radiation treatment was over by 7:00 a.m. We headed home and all was well until about 11:00 a.m. Ken started to shake uncontrollably, and couldn't get warm. I checked his temperature, and he was a bit elevated. I called the doctor and left a message for someone to get back to me. While waiting, I checked his temp again at fifteen minute intervals. It continued to rise. When it reached 102.8 degrees I told him we were going to the emergency room. The oncology nurse called and concurred. Ken was treated with four simultaneous I.V.'s with large bore needles loading him with fluids and lots of antibiotics. It seems that his feeding peg is infected, and they are treating him in the hospital for a few days. He is on the oncology floor now, but his blood pressure keeps bottoming out, so we don't know if he will be able to have his treatment tomorrow or not. Also, they may need to have surgery look at his tube to see if there was a problem with the insertion. (Remember the problem with the gouged esophagus???) Anyway, he will be moved to intensive care if his pressure doesn't stabilize tonight.

Ken's spirits are almost too good to be believed. We still hope for treatment to continue, and this to be a mere bump along this journey.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty darn sure you are NOT making ANY of this up! Love hearing that Ken's spirits are still high....know they will get this bump resolved....Hang in there....(p.s. I'm long-lost neighbor of Kenny's from Covington days...)Glad you are keeping the blog so we can keep in touch....& keep updated.
    Barb Hart White